10 Ways to Love our Neighbors
"For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Galatians 5:14 ESV
How well do we love our neighbors?
After the long winter, the warm weather beckons people outside. Laughing children ride bikes, and adults walk barking dogs. Some mulch and prune flower beds, while others plant vegetable gardens. Rain and freshly cut grass scent the air.
As we enjoy being outside, are we looking for opportunities to help others?
Are we shining for Jesus in our neighborhoods?
Jesus states the two greatest commandments are loving God and others. How are we doing at fulfilling this mandate?
10 simple ways to love our neighbors:
1. Smile and speak their names. People love to hear their names. Be friendly and try to get to know them.
2. Small acts of kindness. Rake, mow, or shovel their yard. If they are traveling, volunteer to get their mail, feed their pets, or water their plants.
3. Sweet treats. Bake extra sweets to share with others. If someone is sick or injured, take a meal.
4. Share you home. Invite others to a bonfire, meal, block party, or cup of tea.
5. Serve them. Offer to run errands, take an elderly person to the store, or babysit a child.
6. Settling in. If someone moves into the neighborhood, greet them and take them a welcome basket.
7. Seasonal fun. Deliver May Day baskets, Christmas cookies, Valentine candy, or your garden's bounty.
8. Simply listen. Everyone craves a listening ear.
9. Solve disputes. People are messy, but try to resolve conflict. Give them the benefit of the doubt.
10. Shine for Jesus. Our lives and words should reflect Jesus. Do our words and actions emulate Christ?
Lord, thank you for our neighbors. Please help us to look for ways to love them and shine for you.